Monday, May 14, 2012

Blueberry Cream Scones



I was talking to my mom and she mentioned this recipe that was in a magazine she gets. Well, I work in a library and I don’t subscribe to any magazines, but we happen to get this one at work. So all I had to do was remember to find the recipe when I was at work the next day. I got the magazine out, but then left it on the reference desk. When I remembered that I had left it there, it was there, open to this recipe! It looked so good and was easy to boot.

I met my mom on Mother’s Day yesterday to celebrate and I thought it would be nice to make these for her. I love to bake and take scones, so that they are still warm when I deliver them, but I get to work too early to bake before work. I was meeting my mom in the morning, but not too early, so I was able to bake these and deliver them. They took about 15 minutes to mix together and then a short time to bake. I give a fairly large range for the baking time. The original recipe said 17-20 minutes and mine weren’t anywhere near done after than amount of time. After 25 minutes they were nicely browned (although still a touch soft in the center).

The magazine calls these biscuits but I just don’t have the heart to do that. These are cream scones, plain and simple! I used frozen blueberries, which may be why my scones are a touch soft, but I think that was a perfect substitute. I really liked these; they aren’t too sweet and the blueberry flavor comes through very well. The magazine suggested you serve these with blueberry sauce, which would also be good. But like all scones, they are good by themselves or simply served with some butter. 

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup blueberries
1-1/2 cups whipping cream

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and nutmeg. Stir in the blueberries. Add the whipping cream and stir just until moistened. 

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough just 4-5 turns. Shape into an 8-inch square and place on the prepared baking sheet. With a bench scraper or a pizza cutter, score the dough into 16 squares, leaving the scones intact. 

Bake for 18-25 minutes or until golden brown. Pull apart to serve.

Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens

No comments: