Friday, August 12, 2016

Brownie Thumbprint Cookies



It seems like I am forever on the quest to find something new, something different, something that will catch my fancy this week. My husband loves chocolate chip cookies, so when I find a recipe that is chocolate chip themed, it usually ends up at the top of the list! I saw these cookies and knew they would be really interesting.

They use a chocolate brownie mix for the filling, which I suppose you could figure out how to make your own, but I just went with the mix. My mixture was a little dry, like it needed a little more butter, so it was tricky to shape into balls. I had way more filling than I needed, despite doubling the chocolate chip cookie recipe. The original recipe said that doubling the recipe would make it about even for cookie/filling, but that wasn’t the case for me. That’s ok!

These are a little tedious to make. The cookie dough is on the sticky side, and then my brownie filling was a little crumbly, but I got them together. This recipe made 4 dozen cookies, with lots of extra filling as I mentioned previously. I wasn’t sure how long to bake them, as they don’t really brown, and I didn’t want the brownie filling to be dry. 10 minutes worked the best, although once batch the cookies were slightly larger and needed a little more time. I suppose the chocolate drizzle isn’t necessary, but it fancies up the cookies. These have a good brownie flavor, and it’s good with the chocolate chip cookie.


Brownie Thumbprint Cookies
18.4 ounce chocolate brownie mix
3/4 cup butter, melted

¾ cup butter, room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2-1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups chocolate chips

1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 tablespoon shortening

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the brownie mix and melted better and beat on medium until combined. Wrap the brownie filling in plastic wrap and set aside. Wipe out the bowl with a towel.

In the same bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar on medium until light. Add the cream cheese and sugar and beat again on medium until combined. Stir in the vanilla. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the baking soda, flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Shape the dough into 1-1/2 inch balls and bake an indentation in each cookie with your thumb (or the end of a wooden spoon). Shape a small amount of the brownie filling into a ball and press into the indentation, pressing until the brownie filling is even with the cookie.

Bake for 9-11 minutes, until the cookies are set. They won’t brown much, but will look set. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Once the cookies are cool, make the drizzle. In a small bowl combine the chocolate chips and shortening. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring frequently, until smooth. Transfer the melted chocolate to a plastic bag and snip off the corner. Drizzle the chocolate over the cooled cookies. Allow the chocolate to set before serving.

No comments: