Friday, January 6, 2017

Oatmeal Peanut Butterfinger Cookies



I saw these cookies before Christmas, but they didn’t fit into my Christmas baking plan so I got the necessary ingredients and knew that I would make them once we were into the new year. I’m a little surprised that I was so interested in these cookies. When choosing candy to eat, I don’t think that I would ever pick a Butterfinger. I don’t eat those out of the candy dish. I like the flavor, but they are just too hard to eat, too crumbly, or something like that. 

These cookies use Butterfinger bits, which are new to me. I think they have been out for a while but I first saw them at the store about the same time that I saw this recipe. The other difference in this cookie is that it uses coconut oil. That’s not all that strange these days, and I did have some on hand. I didn’t quite have an entire cup, so I used a little vegetable shortening to make up the difference. I think you could use butter, but that would give the cookies a different texture.

I could tell in mixing the coconut oil, sugars and peanut butter that this recipe was going to make a bit batch. I used a bigger cookie scoop that I usually do, and this recipe made nearly 5 dozen cookies. They bake up very nicely, perfectly round. Once in a while if you have a big chunk of Butterfinger on the edge of the cookie you get a bit of a meltdown. These cookies are truly wonderful! They have a great peanut butter flavor, and the cookies are slightly crispy but they just melt in your mouth. 


Oatmeal Peanut Butterfinger Cookies
1 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
1-1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup oats
10 oz. package Butterfinger bits

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the coconut oil, sugar, brown sugar, and peanut butter. Beat on medium speed until light. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a small bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Stir in the oats and Butterfinger bits. You may need to use a spatula to get everything mixed together completely.

Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, forming drops about 1-1/2” in diameter.

Bake for 11-13 minutes, until lightly browned along the edges. They may look slightly under baked on the top, but will set as they cool. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Plain Chicken

No comments: