Friday, September 29, 2017

Apple Butter Bars




I’m a librarian, and you may find it strange that I don’t go to bookstores all that often. I’m not sure why, but it seems like I go for long stretches without visiting one. When I do go to a bookstore, I take lots of photos of books that sound interesting, do my research, and place holds on the books at the public library. I read too quickly to buy books unless it’s an unusual situation.

I do often look at the magazines, especially this time of year when they start having specialty fall and holiday baking magazines. I find most of my recipes online, so I question myself when I buy a cookbook or baking magazine, wondering if it’s worth it. I’ll usually look and make sure there are at least two recipes that I will certainly make. This particular magazine had a date and hazelnut caramel cake on the cover, and this recipe, apple butter bars.

This recipe had you make your own applesauce/apple butter. I used store bought apple butter, for the convenience. The crumble comes together easily, mixing all of the ingredients at once. Same for the base, you mix all the ingredients in one step. I used the same mixer bowl for both the topping and the base. Be careful when spreading the apple butter, don’t get it too close to the edges or it will slightly burn when baking. These have great fall flavors; perhaps I would add some cinnamon, but they are lovely. They cut best when refrigerated, but I think they taste better at room temperature.

Apple Butter Bars
¾ cup slivered almonds, toasted
½ cup flour
½ cup almond flour
½ cup oats
½ cup butter, cold, cut in small pieces
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt

½ cup flour
½ cup almond flour
½ cup oats
6 tablespoons butter, melted
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon allspice
¾ cup apple butter

Make the crumble: in a large mixer bowl, combine all of the topping ingredients. Mix on medium the butter is cut in and the mixture comes together. Transfer to a small bowl and refrigerate the crumble for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 8-inch square baking pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the base ingredients. Mix on medium until crumbly. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and press the dough into an even layer. Spread the apple butter on top of the base and then top with the refrigerated crumble.

Bake for about 30 minutes, until the crumble is golden brown. Refrigerate for at least an hour before cutting into bars. Lift the bars from the pan and peel away the foil. Cut into bars.

Recipe from bake from scratch magazine

1 comment:

propertygal983 said...

Sorry I'm a little confused did you mean almond butter or apple butter? Recipe says Almond. Thanks for looking for yummy recipes for us to try.