Friday, February 2, 2018

Oatmeal Cinnamon Chip Bars



I really love cinnamon chips. I don’t typically like flavored chips, as they can taste so artificial. For some reason, the cinnamon chips don’t have that terrible fake taste. One of my favorite cookies is a ginger cookie with cinnamon chips. When I had taken those to work, my colleagues also learned to love cinnamon chips.

I usually have a couple of bags of them in my cupboard, as they are sometimes difficult to find at the store. My baking cupboard is very full right now, so I figured I would find a recipe to use them up. I looked for recipes and most of them were too similar to other cookies I have made with cinnamon chips. I did find this bar cookie recipe, and I figured that oats and cinnamon would be very tasty together.

I’ll admit, these aren’t the best looking cookies; they honestly look quite plain. But they are good in other ways. They are quick to put together, which is handy when it gets late in the evening and you need them to take to work in the morning. They are nice and soft and have a wonderful homey flavor. Sometimes cookies don’t have to look good to be good.

Oatmeal Cinnamon Chip Bars
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup cinnamon baking chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9” x 13” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and sugar on medium until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla and stir on medium to combine. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Stir in the oats, either by hand or with the mixer on low. Stir in the cinnamon chips with a spatula.

Spread the dough evenly into the prepared pan.

Bake for about 25 minutes, until browned along the edge and set in the center. The bars will be soft but be careful not to over bake the bars. Cool before cutting into bars.

Recipe from Our Table for Seven

No comments: